- Vacuum or sweep regularly, using the brush attachment only, not the beater bar. The beater bar is located on the under side of most upright vacuums and can cause damage to your new hardwood floor.
- Remove spills promptly using a clean, dry Microfiber cloth and clean residue with a Professional Hard Surface Cleaner and a clean Microfiber cloth. We recommend Shaw Hard Surface Cleaner, available at an Avalon Flooring store near you.
- Use felt protectors under heavy pieces of furniture and chairs.
- Use protective mats at all exterior entrances to reduce debris that can be tracked in from outside. Do not use rubber or foam backed mats, as they may discolor the finish.
- Never wet or damp mop your wood floors. Water can cause damage to wood flooring.
- Never use oil soaps, wax, or other household products to clean your floor.
- The sun’s UV rays can change the color of your floor. Window coverings are suggested.
- Keep animal nails trimmed.
- Protect your floor when using a dolly for moving furniture or appliances. NEVER slide or roll heavy furniture or appliances across the floor.
- Spike or high heeled shoes can severely damage your hardwood floors.
If your floor becomes scratched or dull, repairs can often be made using repair accessories.
Always remember, pre-finished and custom finished hardwoods have durable finishes, but are not scratch or dent proof. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way toward keeping your hardwood floor looking its best.
For more information, view or Hardwood Care & Maintenance Guide.