Thanks to characteristics like high durability and water resistance, vinyl flooring is exceptionally easy to keep clean and looking like new. However, it is important to remember that it is still susceptible to normal “wear” – especially in high traffic areas. The key to maintenance for any floor is it find ways to minimize damage and follow routine maintenance recommendations.These expert tips will show you how to clean vinyl floors, and keep them looking like the first day they were installed.
Tips for the Best Way to Clean Your Vinyl Floors
- The best way to clean vinyl floors is to use a soft bristle broom to remove loose dirt.
- For everyday care beyond sweeping, use a damp mop as needed with clean water.
- Spills should be cleaned up immediately with a non-abrasive, manufacturer-recommended floor cleaner. And don’t use scrub brushes!
- Avoid harsh cleaning chemicals (bleach and ammonia) or “mop & shine” products which tend to leave a dull film on vinyl flooring.
- Review manufacturer guidelines for your flooring before using a steam mop. Steam mops may cause damage to vinyl floors due to the high temperatures they reach.
For more tips on maintaining and cleaning your vinyl flooring, we recommend you check out the World Floor Covering Association’s website too!